Tuesday, 24 July 2012

I made this with dry pastels, the first night of holidays, two months ago. It was before my school feedback interview, when I was feeling pretty dismal, and down on my efforts. Add a bottle of wine, drank in front of the mirror, listening to terrible music involving lots of wailing women.

Turns out I did ok and passed my classes.

Since then I reworked it so much it's become barely recognizable. Thought it was wrecked, but now I'm thinking I'll seal it as an underlayer and then paint another mezface over it.

Despite the challenging emotional associations drifting through the image, I like it anyway. Initially, self portraits were daunting things. Starting to enjoy the process much more. Hopefully I can salvage the energy put into this, and make another decent piece. Still a little disappointed it no longer exists in this form though.




No comments:

Post a Comment